Alan Hargreaves' Blog

The ramblings of an Australian SaND TSC* Principal Field Technologist

Thunderbird imapd and OpenSSL 1.0

I upgraded my internal Solaris 11 build last night and this morning noticed that I was getting error popups from thunderbird like:

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

Searching the web didn’t help me a lot except for this one which suggested that I try telneting to port 993 on the server to see what it looked like.

When I did this and saw a complaint about imapd not being able to open libssl.so.0.9.8 that I twigged that this must have been the build that we went to openssl 1.0 on.

This meant that I needed to rebuild imapd. Well I already have done most of the work here here.

The sad thing was it looks like something else changed and some structure elements have names different to what imapd was expecting in a (DIR *).

Adding -D__USE_LEGACY_PROTOTYPES__ to the EXTRACFLAGS macro in the top level Makefile allowed the build to complete. After putting the new binary into place, thunderbird is happy talking to this server again.

Update #1

I also needed to rebuild proxytunnel. I think that’s all that I had that linked against libssl.0.9.8.

Advertisements

Written by Alan

June 15, 2011 at 10:49 am

%d bloggers like this: