Nevada to OpenSolaris Sun Ray on SPARC (part 5 – Sun Ray Server 4.2)
I finally managed to get the SRSS 4.2 server software running on my setup. Note that SRSS 4.2 is the server version that is included with the Sun Ray 5.0 download.
First up I needed to install the software. It comes packaged as a zip file (
srss_4.2_solaris.zip), extracting into
It looks like if you want the web configuration interface you need to install tomcat from this distribution too. You can find this in
srss_4.2/Supplemental/Apache_Tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.20.tar.gz. I installed it like this.
$ gzcat apache-tomcat-5.5.20.tar.gz | (cd /opt ; pfexec tar xf -) $ cd /opt $ ln -s apache-tomcat-5.5.20 apache-tomcat
You can then do the srss install, answering the questions asked (not included here as I forgot to record it). The symlink above means that you can sensibly accept the default location for Tomcat.
$ cd srss_4.2 $ pfexec ./utinstall
This is unfortunately not enough to get us going. When I went to run
/opt/SUNWut/sbin/utadm -L it immediately complained about not being able to find the DHCP server stuff. I have no interest whatsoever in installing the DHCP stuff. After some poking around I found that all I really needed to do was to edit
/etc/opt/SUNWut/auth.props and make the setting
allowLANConnections = true
But that’s not all, …
I was still getting the 26B on the Sun Ray DTU on attempting to utswitch to the new machine.
This error code apparently means “Waiting for X”. Fortunately there was a wonderful wiki entry on getting SRSS 4.1 working with OpenSolaris 2009.06. I’ll re-document it as there were some things that I did not need to do (as they had been addressed in SRSS 4.2) and others which I thought less than clear.
You need the motif libraries. Sorry, no way around it, it’s linked against them. Fortunately they are available in the opensolaris.org repository.
$ pfexec pkg install SUNWmfrun SUNWtltk SUNWdtbas
I saw the following error in
/var/log/gdb/:11.log (11 being the session number it allocated me).
ld.so.1: Xnewt: fatal: libXfont.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
Ahhh this was because some libraries moved. To fix it you need to do the following
# cd /usr/lib # ln -s xorg/libXfont.so . # ln -s xorg/libXfont.so.1 . # ln -s xorg/libfontenc.so . # ln -s xorg/libfontenc.so.1 . # cd sparcv9 # ln -s ../xorg/sparcv9/libXfont.so . # ln -s ../xorg/sparcv9/libXfont.so.1 . # ln -s ../xorg/sparcv9/libfontenc.so . # ln -s ../xorg/sparcv9/libfontenc.so.1 .
I also created
/etc/opt/SUNWut/X11/fontpath with the following contents
/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi-ISO8859-1 /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi-ISO8859-15 /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi-ISO8859-1 /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi-ISO8859-15 /usr/share/fonts/X11/encodings /usr/share/fonts/X11/isas /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc-ISO8859-1 /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc-ISO8859-15 /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1
Finally I had to edit
/opt/SUNWut/lib/xmgr/gdm/remove-dpy since gdmdynamic arguments appear to have changed. Replacing
gdmglue="; gdmdynamic -b -d "'$UT_DPY'
gdmglue="; gdmdynamic -d "'$UT_DPY'
Just to make sure everything had “taken”, I rebooted the box.
It looks like this did the trick. I am able to
/opt/SUNWut/bin/utswitch -h sb2000-b and login correctly and actually get a usable desktop.
As I’ve done a bit of work on vesvi since I synced the filesystems onto sb2000-b I’ll need to sync those over again before I start trying to use this as my desktop for a bit before physically moving the disk over to vesvi (and all of the associated network reconfiguration and probably creating another certificate for imapd).
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is not an oncoming train.
It should go without saying (but I’ll say it anyway). Getting Sun Ray running like this OpenSolaris completely voids any warranty and support. Don’t do it if you don’t know what you are doing.